Moving… Hobbling Forward

First of all, thank you so much for the kind comments, messages, and phone calls since this weekend. You don’t know who your friends are until you’re really down, and it was uplifting to hear so many words of support and sympathy.

I dealt with the initial shock Saturday by going into a typical (for me) emotional brain freeze, and then crying and imbibing lots of wine when it all started to sink in. And that was before Ali stopped by with 3 more bottles of wine and a tiny carton of Ben and Jerry’s. Screw lactose intolerance, I needed some ice cream therapy.

But since then I have tried, for now, to be forward looking, instead of being purely retrospective (although that’s coming- expect a couple sappy posts in the future). And there are some major things to attend to in the near (next 12 months) future.

For one, I implemented phase one of my plan to buy a truck 3 days prior to getting Foster’s news. That is to say, I sold my car. And then of course realized that those pennies I’d been saving up for a hauling vehicle would likely have another purpose, since obviously, homeboy isn’t going to be competing, or clinicing, or lessoning anytime soon. So I’ve been scavenging around for a vehicle that was more gas-efficient, and if we need to go anywhere, I’ll just have to beg borrow and steal a pickup for the day.

Of course there’s what-to-do with Foster, as well. I’ve been trying to imagine what the optimal life would be like for him, and come to the conclusion that this horse needs interaction. He begs for attention, hams for treats, and in general is one of the sweetest, most personable and cuddliest horses I’ve ever met- that doesn’t strike me as the type of horse you through out to pasture to mind his own business for the next 10 years. Ideally, I’d like to get him sound enough that I could find a free lease situation, someone interested in trail riding and occasional flatwork, but that is looking more for a horse to dote on then anything else. But of course, I’ve got to get him comfortable first.

We’re still working a little. This is our trial phase with the previcox, and Monday evening I’ll be able to assess at all 3 gaits if he’s more comfortable on the drug. That will be very telling, but I must divulge- I’m not holding my breath.

The other option I’m seriously considering after a long heart-to-heart with my vet is letting him be on full turnout for 6-8 months, and just see if consistent, low-key movement will allow his body to heal. So I’m trying to find a situation for him that would allow for this and still let me love on him and monitor his progress.

If I can’t find the perfect place to put him, the next step is Adequan/Legend/similar product. If anyone has specific recommendations on one of these options- I’m all ears as I try to learn all I can. Then he’ll stay in some semblance of work (even if it’s just walking) and see where it goes.

We’re moving forward. Slowly, cautiously, but forward nonetheless.


25 thoughts on “Moving… Hobbling Forward

    • The only other option we’ve discussed is going down the rabbit hole (feels like my second home at this point) and doing full diagnostics – xrays, ultrasounds, etc. But to what end, I don’t know- which is why I’m leaning towards some of the cheaper options to start. So yes, all hail friends with wine!

  1. Much as I hate to say it, your post is helping me too. I hadn’t really considered Previcox/Equioxx as an option for Pig’s arthritis issues, but now I’m on the phone with my vet to see if that’s something we might pursue to keep him comfortable in between injections.

    Anyway. My fingers are crossed for Foster coming back to some semblance of comfort. I know those horses who would rather be with people/have a job really would rather work through a little pain than be retired, and that kind of kills those of us who love them. Hugs and more wine.

    • I’ve heard a few success stories so far regarding long turnout periods. And I saw it work myself for Ivan, whose mysterious lameness/wonkiness disappeared after a long summer off. So who knows, but it seems worth a try.

    • It’s definitely an interesting option to explore, and a seemingly cost-efficient one versus injecting all the things. Guess I’ll need to practice IM injections first.

  2. My horse was not at the same stage of lameness that Foster is, but I did have a 15ish thoroughbred when I was a teen that stayed really happy and sound on Adequan for 3’6+ courses and a regular show schedule. But I’ve also seen a good long vacation work well too. Our used to be 3 legged lame mare with ring bone went out to pasture for a while and now stays sound for light hacking and small jumps with very little maintenance.

  3. Fingers crossed for good things. If I were closer you could bring him up to my place to turn out. He and Copper would be interesting companions for sure. 2+ hours is probably too far for you though.

  4. Thinking about you right now. It’s hard to have all the plans and then have your plans laugh at you. But that seems to be life. I hope that you will find a great free lease situation for foster and that you will be able to keep riding regardless. (Hug)

  5. A lot of horses in my area have recovered really well after a stint of 6 months – 1 year on full turn out. Sometimes the mobility of just puttering around helps… although this plan can back-fire too. Thinking of you and Foster.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s