Do you have a type? I know I do. When I was horse hunting, I struggled finding a horse that fit my requirements. Foster is legitimately the only horse I was really interested in. Here was my list of requirements:
- A good brain. Hands down, the most important aspect to me was a willing and quiet participant that I could get along with even after the ride is over. Plus, IMO a quiet brain is a trainable brain.
- Have a kind eye No piggy expressions or jerk faces need apply. See above.
- 15.3 hh – 16.3 hh. I’m only 5’4″- I wanted something that wouldn’t make me terrified to ride up to a 3’3″ fence but also wasn’t too far from the ground.
- Built uphill Not only would an uphill conformation make dressage + jumping easier, but also provide some security to a girl with 10+ years experience riding draft crosses!
- Decent movement Need not be the next Totilas, but a little bit of suspension would be great.
- 4-9 years old This was on my list, as I wanted to be able to jump sooner rather than later. I ended up compromising on this one as Foster was advertised as a 3 yr old, which I believed until I had the dentist out (he was actually 4)
- Clean history History repeats itself, as they say- so I wanted to start out with a blank slate if at all possible
- Good jumper Another compromise when I bought Foster since (I thought) he was 3- no jumping yet, I judged his jumping ability by the way he moved
- Preferably a gelding Not the *most* important aspect, but I knew I got along better with geldings in general
- Be in my budget Champagne on a beer budget, anyone? I’ll take a glass of Andre, please.
It took me a solid 3 months of hourly scouring every horse sales site known to man before I found Foster’s ad on dreamhorse.com. Even though I ended up compromising the jumping and the age, he was the closest fit to my requirements. So I jumped in my car that weekend and ran up to Maryland, hopped aboard for a test ride, and the rest is history!
What aspects of your horse led you to him/her? If you were to go horse-shopping tomorrow, what would your list look like?